Our vision is about designing with a purpose. Products should be designed and made for use in the real world. Students should have the chance to think critically and develop solutions to real life problems. An iterative design process is embedded throughout so students are constantly designing, making, evaluating and realising there is never a true end to their development process.
The Department enables students to develop a systematic and successful approach to their Design Technology projects by answering these three questions:
- What is my problem?
- What is my solution?
- How will it impact the wider world?
From KS3 onwards, we want our students to experience success that is not just measured by their examination grades. We strive to support them in developing the confidence to take risks, ask questions and explore alternative solutions without fear of being wrong.
Pupils’ work is marked around specific skills:
- research and design
- knowledge and theory
However, the Design and Technology Department also measure students’ success by referencing a much wider range of criteria.
These include the following:
- Enthusiasm for the subject
- Aptitude for the subject
- Compulsion to experiment
- Resilience to overcome problems independently but recognising how to work well within a team
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to continuously evaluate own performance and be analytical of their work
- Ability to manage their own time
- Ability to communicate their ideas to others
- Fulfilling their potential.
Please follow us on instagram, where we showcase our student's projects: https://www.instagram.com/dt_phsg/
Please see below full details of the course in our: Design Technology Curriculum and Assessment booklet