Gold DofE students make history at PHSG!
Our intrepid, dedicated and inspiring Year 12/13 students managed to complete their ‘epic’ Gold Qualifying Expedition last Sunday, making them the first ever PHSG Gold Expedition Group to cross the finish line.
They completed a very tough route as follows;
- 2300m of ascent (Ben Nevis is 1440m!)
- 4 days/3 nights
- ‘Wild’ camping (Flete Estate/Huntington Warren/Frenchbeer Rocks) ie no camp site amenities!
- Carrying full Expedition rucksacks
- An estuary crossing of the River Erme at Wonwell
- A full traverse of Dartmoor from Ivybridge to Okehampton
- An ascent of High Willlhays/Yes Tor ridge – the highest point on Dartmoor and in Southern England at 621m
- Typical ‘four seasons in one day’ Dartmoor weather!
A huge well done to the students, the girls were exceptional as this was a massive step up from what they experienced at Silver. Excellent work!