Latest News


Free School Meals Entitlement Criteria

from 6th April 2010

Children whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals;

  • Income Support (IS).
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA).
  • An income-related employment and support allowance (this benefit was introduced on 27th October 2008).
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • Child Tax Credit; provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) that as of 6th April 2010 does not exceed£16,190.
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
Extra Guidance;
  • Claims are currently renewed yearly. The Free School Meals Department, Department of Children’s Services send pre-printed application forms to the school for distribution before the claim is due to expire.
  • You can obtain a Free School Meals application form from the PHSG Reception.
  • The person claiming the benefit must sign the application form and produce the correct evidence;
    • All evidence for Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance must be dated within 8 weeks, as the letter must be recent.
    • Income Based Job Seeker’s Allowance letters must have that specific name in the letter, as Contribution Based Job Seeker’s do not qualify. This information is usually on page 3 or 4 of the letter.
    • Employment and support Allowance Income Related (ESA(IR) letters must have that specific name in the letter, as Contribution based ESA does not qualify. This should be on page 2 of the letter.

Awards from the Inland Revenue must be TC602; renewal awards TC603 are not accepted.

Should you have any questions about this, or any other free school meal queries please get in touch with Miss J Straker at Plymouth High School for Girls on 01752 208308 or