Plymouth High has been awarded the prestigious “Investor in Careers” award. Every student at Plymouth High School is entitled to Careers Education and Guidance, as they anticipate and prepare for their future roles in society.
Pupils will receive a full programme of Careers Education and Guidance which is taught within the Personal, Social & Health Education framework during the Tutorial lesson. This is supported throughout the curriculum in all subject areas when appropriate. Pupils have access to a wide range of Careers material via the extensive school computer network.
Importance is placed on equality of opportunity and giving individual advice, parents are welcome to attend careers interviews with their daughter and the special Information evenings which are held annually.
We deliver Careers Education and Guidance in a number of ways, but always follow these principles:
- Advice should be tailored to meet individual needs
- It should broaden the interests, experiences and aspirations of each pupil
- It is professionally and objectively delivered
- Information is accurate, up-to-date, comprehensive and freely available
- It should promote equality of opportunity
In addition all students are given the opportunity to:
- Find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeship opportunities
- Hear from a range of local providers about the opportunities they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships
- Understand how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses
All pupils in Year 10 undertake a period of work experience during their summer term. Pupils are encouraged to find their own placement, having completed a preparation programme during the course of the year.
In addition, industry days, industrial visits, contact with visiting employers and mini-enterprise activities also give pupils experience of the "world or work".
The Sixth Form have the option of undertaking a week of work experience during our enrichment week in the Summer Term. Sixth Formers are also encouraged to organise a session of Work Experience for one afternoon a week, timetable permitting, during their course of study.
A high quality careers provision is essential in today’s complex and changing employment market. Careers education and guidance play a vital role in Plymouth High School for Girls to ensure that the students make the smooth transition from school to higher education and employment.
Mrs Longford, who is the full time Careers & Work Experience Coordinator, is able to provide impartial advice and up to date information to help pupils make informed decisions about the career that best suits them.
The Careers Department will provide a first class careers service for all the pupils of Plymouth High School for Girls.
Aims of the Careers Department
The overall aim of the Careers Department is to provide an effective careers education and guidance programme to enable our pupils to manage their own career development successfully, by helping them acquire the skills, attitudes and abilities they will need to chart their path through life with confidence and to be effective in a variety of adult roles.
In support of this overall aim, there are 5 strategic objectives for our careers education and guidance programme; helping pupils to develop:
- Knowledge and understanding of themselves as individuals - their strengths, skills, personal qualities, interests, attainments and capabilities;
- Awareness and understanding of the world of work and of the career and learning opportunities available to them in terms of further/higher education, training and employment;
- Career planning and decision making skills in order to manage transition from school to university/workplace
- The skills and personal qualities necessary to gain admission onto higher education courses and employment
- Confidence and independence in terms of managing their career.
The Careers Lead is Mr Shaun Willis.
If you require any further information about Plymouth High School for Girls Careers Service please contact;
Mrs Heather Longford
Careers & Work Experience Coordinator
01752 208308 ext 252